Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Dilemma


So I've been pondering this decision for a couple months now and I just can't make up my mind. I am usually a very decisive person so this is killing me. Bloggers, I need your help.

My 10 year high school reunion is next month at some fancy hotel in Newport Beach. Should I stay or should I go? For all of you that have gone before me, was it worth it? If I go, should the hubby tag along or should I leave him at home to watch the kid at play Xbox?

Most of my close high school friends are not going but there are a handful of people I would love to see and catch up with. But is $100 worth 4 hours of small talk (where do you live, what do you do, married, kids, blah, blah, blah), a few email/phone number exchanges, a bland hotel dinner, and a tired Sunday morning (in which I am hosting a baby shower at my house at noon)? Oh, but I would so enjoy seeing those familiar faces from BOHS again.

What do you think I should do?

6 comments:

nicole aka gidget said...

I've always looked forward to mine, but you do make some good points to not go! I'll have to wait till next summer to decide for myself but hopefully it's not $100!

Elizabeth said...

I say go and definitely bring the husband... I missed mine but we went to Marks and had a great time. Its a great chance to see people you wouldnt otherwise and for people to see how God has changed your life.

Two Cent Sparrow said...

I would go. My hasn't come up yet but my good friend just went to hers two weeks ago. She was uncertain about going at first also but she ended up having a really good time. If you're this torn about it I think you might regret not going.

We are the Ganyos.... said...

Errr... my vote is to stay home and play X box with Alex. I think it'd be more fun.
Seriously though, I feel you on this one. I ALWAYS thought FOR SURE I would go (that was BEFORE the invite came requesting 200$ for a couple, not to mention the cost of air fare to get there!!) But cost aside, the more I think about it, the more I dread going. I think it would be way easier and more fun to go to husbands - there's no history. I always find it so akward and even belittling to talk with people about my life knowing they are not really all that interesting. And I hate pretending Im interested in someone else beyond simply what they do for a living......and I also hate feeling like you had some sort of genuine reconnection with someone and then nothing comes of it. I've had that happen enough times in the last 10 years to know that it's inevitable.
Sorry to sound like such a party pooper - I guess in the end you probably wouldn't regret going, you wont really miss the 100$ and Alex and AJ could bond. I'll be curious to know what you decide, good luck!

MacD Kids said...

Oh I say go for sure! And bring the hubby! I'm excited for mine. We had fun at Ryan's and I feel like if you can keep the right perspective (amen elizabeth!) then there doesn't have to be awkwardness. Obviously I know history has the potential to make things weird, and there's bound to be surfacey conversation all over the place, but that's a prime time to be so different and show some genuine interest in someone else's life. I'm just excited to go and reconnect even just for the night. But I suppose anyone who knows e wouldn't find that surprising :)

Jacob and Andrew said...

Jeremy's was canceled, so I say take advantage of the opportunity and GO! At least you have the chance!!