Monday, July 28, 2008

A sad, sad day

Last Friday was supposed to be a fun family day at the beach. Alex finished teaching his last day of summer school on Thursday so we decided to celebrate by lounging at sunny Carlsbad beach and then meeting up with good friends for a bonfire. We packed up the car with TONS of beach gear, a slab of marinating tri-tip for dinner, and all the baby essentials and headed out.

On the way there I noticed that AJ was not feeling good again. Before leaving we had to wake him up from a 2.5 hour nap and he fell right back asleep in the car. I tried feeding him but he couldn't even keep his eyes open. Kinda like what happened on Wednesday although he was not nearly as warm. I called the pediatrician and she recommended we take him to Children's hospital since it was a Friday and the test results at Children's are almost instantaneous. Before hanging up the phone I held AJ's limp hand and started to sob. I was terrified. Are we really taking him to the hospital? Does she think it's that serious or is she playing the safe card?

We prayed as we drove to downtown San Diego (PTL that the Comic-Con traffic wasn't bad) and the powerful peace of God helped get us through the next 5 hours of waiting, paperwork, blood work, x-rays, and an IV. Poor Alex took a HUGE one for the team and had to endure the whole process in a soaking wet shirt filled with SMELLY formula throw-up. Gross.

















Test after test came back negative and after he finished getting pumped with fluid, his coloring came back and his fever went away. Because he was such a trooper, we rewarded him with a Happy Meal. Having a McDonald's in the emergancy waiting room was a brilliant idea. Ronald McDonald can brighten up any ill child.


Dr. Simpson and the nursing staff at Rady’s were comforting, helpful and very efficient. Thanks to all who made our visit as best as it could be. We hope to never see you again.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am glad everything is okay !!!

The Hamlin Family said...

Wow...I had to catch up on your blog. First of all, I hope AJ is doing better. It's the best thing in the world being a mother...but I absolutely HATE it when my kids are sick. I'm so sorry you had to go through that...but hopefully he's back to his cheerful self. Tell Marci congrats!!! What a fun time for your family. I can't believe how big AJ is getting. Before you know it, your little baby is going to turn one. I'm trying to treasure the "newborn days" right now. They go by way too fast.

PS...Did you make a decision about the reunion??? I would have tagged along with you if I lived down there.

Anonymous said...

Oh sweet little guy. He looks so precious and tiny in that picture. I'm so glad that he is doing better. Love you guys

Jacob and Andrew said...

OMGoodness we are so sorry our buddy wasn't feeling well! We miss him and hope he is feeling better!